Massachusetts is doing Go Green @your library as their Summer Reading Program theme this year! “Reading Helps Grow Big Ideas” is their tag line. Teen theme: tnk grEn.
Some of the programs that caught my eye:
- My First Garden
- Get Your Green On: Recycling Relays!, Super Eco-Hero, Tree Planting
- Crafts from Recycled Stuff
Looks like the Memorial Hall Library (Andover, MA) is extending the theme into the Fall, they’ve got some great programs lined up:
- Greener Living Fair
- Mercury Thermometer Exchange
- Community Shredding event
- Green Transportation program with featured speaker John F. Paul, AAA’s Car Doctor
- “Climate Change in New England” Led by Tina Woolston, Project Manager for Sustainability at Earthwatch Institute.
- “How to Live a Greener Lifestyle” presented by Dan Ruben, Executive Director of Boston Green Tourism
This line up gets you thinking – who in your community could come and do a presentation at your library? You don’t have to live near a major metropolitan area to find experts in the fields of conservation, energy efficiency, natural habitats, recycling, eating local… Most speakers in these fields are looking for opportunities to spread the word – invite them in!